Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Video Editing - Past, Present, and Future

So, I thought perhaps I'd take a blog post to talk about one of my other side activities: Video Editing. Specifically, I use clips from video games and set them to music, with a few effects thrown in for flair.

This year marks my 10th anniversary as a video editor (I've been creating videos since 2003). In that time, I've made 44 videos that I consider part of my core archive - there have been a number of extra videos that never really made the cut for one reason or another. Over the years, I've also won a few awards for my work: two Best Cinematography awards, one Best Action award, and an award for Best in Show. All in all, its been a pretty fun decade.



On the flip side, I've also been experimenting with original material in the past few years. By working with Unreal, I've created trailers for some of my game concepts, including Ascendancy, The Mezeah Grounds, and The Black Duchess.


This year, things have been pretty busy, but I've tried to get some editing in where I could. In November, I created a really cool trailer for a contest held by Guild Wars 2. I've posted it below. Lets see if I can win a guitar!


So what's next? Well, I had intended to create a retrospective video this year that would touch on all my previous works. That video is still in the works, so we'll have to see if I can finish it off before the end of the year (since most of the work was done this year, it still counts!). After that though, is the elusive video #45. I've been working on a concept for this one for quite a while, but the audio never really clicked until now. I'm happy to say that the song may or may not be "Paradise (What About Us)" by Within Temptation. And the footage? Well, I've done one video using Final Fantasy XII, and I have the footage from XIII-2. With the third title in the series coming out next year, we might just need to use all three. You'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment